Monday, December 18, 2006

Need the blogosphere's help

Well, if you've been reading, you know that we are moving in to our new home in 9 short days (EEEK!).

One of the MANY conversations that hubby and I are currently involved in regarding said move, is about the phone service for the new house.

Kel believes that we should NOT get a land line phone and that we could save money (exactly $26, and this includes tolls and taxes) each month, by using only our cell phones.

I am really uncomfortable with that idea. I feel that a land line is necessary, for emergency purposes. I am home with the kids by myself 95% of the time, and need to know that if I am incapacitated and can't speak or get to the phone, that my soon to be 4 year old can possibly do that for me. If I am hurt and can't speak, I know that I can dial 911, and they will send someone directly to our home to at least check things out. That is not possible with a cell phone. I know that the technology for cell phones is getting better, but I still don't quite trust them in a situation such as this.

I also don't feel that the $26 a month we would pay, would even cover the amount we would have to spend to increase our minutes to cover the local calls that we make on our current home phone.

What do you all think?

Even if you're a lurker, please feel free to comment. I'm really interested in your take on the idea.

MUCHAS GRACIAS!

1 comment:

OneHungMan said...

OneHung has been toying with the idea as well. When the phone rings at his house, he doesn't even bother to get up to see who is calling. Mrs. Hung uses the land line for local calls only and all her family is long distance so she uses the cell phone for that.

The roughly $30 a month for the land line doesn't cause OneHung to miss any meals so for the time being, he's too lazy to do anything about it.

YoungHung, three years old on Saturday, is capable of "talking" on the phone for hours at a time and can turn on his TV and DVD player. He hasn't learned the intricasies of cell phones for obvious reasons, but for a four year old, OHM wouldn't hesitate to get rid of the home-based phone.