Friday, October 13, 2006

Three Year Old Question Of The Day

A little background (this may be a little "tmi" for some of you, consider yourself warned!)

I have nursed both of my boys. Colin weaned himself at 11 months, so no problem there. He went straight to drinking whole milk pretty much right away, so I considered it a smooooth transition.

Landon, on the other hand, LOVES to nurse! I think that he would probably nurse for the rest of his life if I allowed him to (he's definitely a BOOB man!). I planned to nurse him for a year initially and we made it that far and then some. He's down to nursing only in the mornings when he wakes up, and then at night right before he goes to bed.

I've often thought of weaning him, but considering that he's my last little one, the idea of it is bittersweet. I love the idea of having a little more freedom, but then it's such a special time for us to connect before and after our hectic days. It doesn't interfere with much of anything either because of the times that he does it, so we continue.

On to today.

We're at the mall, eating our lunch. Out of the BLUE (I mean, smack you in the face because you didn't expect it, out of the blue), Colin looks at me and says, "Mommy, why does milk come out of your boobies?".

I know that the people sitting in close proximity enjoyed the sweet tea that I consequently spewed out of my mouth in sheer surprise and embarrasment, along with the at length explanation as to why, "milk comes out of my boobies".

I guess I expected a question like that when Landon was born and I was nursing around the clock...but 13 months later??

Nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the question. Priceless.

So, how did you answer that question?

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Lori said...

LOL...I just told him how Mommys were made with "boobies" (hilarious word!) for that very purpose, and after they have babies, that they make milk for them to eat.

He seemed pretty satisifed with the answer. I'm now waiting for the next curve-ball question. Hopefully I'm prepared for that one!